GAV SUMMER INTERNSHIP, HONG KONG
Program Term: Summer
Language Prerequisite: English (speaking and writing skills necessary for internships)
Primary Instruction Language: English
Eligibility: 3.0 GPA, Junior standing prior to summer term, must hold valid passport and be eligible for country-specific visa
Program Type: KSU-Sponsored Internship
Application Deadline: February 1, 2022
BEFORE PROCEEDING, PLEASE REVIEW THE CURRENT UNIVERSITY REQUIREMENTS FOR KSU SPONSORED EDUCATION ABROAD PROGRAMS HERE:
NOTE: Programs are subject to cancellation at any time. Please consult with your education abroad advisor prior to making any personal financial commitments to this program.
This program is currently offered in the following format(s): online or face-to-face, this scheme is subject to change. It is recommended to have an academic contingency plan in case of program cancellation.
Please consult the following resources for more information on COVID-19 and international travel:
Center for Disease Control: https://www.cdc.gov/
United States Department of State: travel.state.gov
Transportation Secretary Administration (TSA): https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus
Local Health Authority: https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/index.html
Hong Kong is one of the world's most densely populated cities with a population of 7.3 million in a total area of 426 square miles. It is also the world's second most competitive economy, third most powerful financial center, fifth in the World Bank's ranking of the easiest places to do business, and has the sixth largest container port. Additionally, there are opportunities in all areas of business and hosts Asia headquarters for many of the Fortune 500 and Fortune 1000.
It is an urban city with lush green space where the East meets the West.
The common languages spoken includes: English, Cantonese, and Mandarin
Students will enroll in a for-credit internship at Kent State University and must meet all of the KSU internship requirements. While participating in the GAV internship, students will intern full-time, Monday through Friday. Typical office hours are 9:00 AM to 5:30 or 6:00 PM. Weekends are free, but you must be well-rested and prepared for work on Monday. Students will receive an on-site orientation, given by the local GAV team.
ACADEMIC CALENDAR/TENTATIVE ITINERARY
Mid-February students receive GAV pre-departure guide
April online GAV pre-departure orientation
End of May Depart U.S.
End of May Orientation (orientation includes in-country presentation given by local GAV team, scavenger hunt, sightseeing, and a “get ready for work” day
June Internship begins (Full-time, Monday through Friday)
July Internship ends
July Program ends (check out of accommodation and return to US)
- Minimum 3.0 GPA, Open to all majors
- Junior standing prior to summer term
- Holds a valid passport & eligible for specific visa (varies by location of internship)
- Meet with Theresa Wallace, email@example.com, is you are a business major before applying
- Meet with Kristin Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org if you are non-business major before applying
- Additionally, students must have taken classes at Kent State University for at least one semester before applying, i.e. students must have a Kent State GPA.
- GAV application/interview
- Once accepted, pay non-refundable $1,000 deposit
GAV Program Fees includes the following:
- Shared accommodation for entire program
- Group airport transfers at beginning and end of program
- Limited transport credit (excluding Europe programs)
- Welcome dinner, breakfast on the first 4 morning of the program, catch up dinners during program, and farewell dinner
- Orientation activities with local staff
- Limited internet at accommodation
- 8-week internship placement
- 24/7 student support
- Visa processing assistance
COSTS & TUITION
- Students pay Kent State University tuition (Resident or Non-Resident) for internship credit hours. See www.kent.edu/tuition for more details
- GAV Program Fee: $6,170.00 USD (see above for what is included in this cost)
- Online Kent State University/OGE application fee: $60.00 USD
- Mandatory International Medical Insurance: Approximately $111.00 USD
- Estimated Airfare: $1500.00 USD
- Costs exclude most meals, personal living expenses, personal travel, passport/visa fees, etc.