Kent State University
Programs > Brochure
GAV Summer Internship, New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand (Outgoing Program)
|Restrictions:||KSU applicants only|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
GAV SUMMER INTERNSHIP, NEW ZEALAND
Program Term: Summer
Language Prerequisite: English (speaking and writing skills necessary for internships)
Primary Instruction Language: English
Eligibility: 3.0 GPA, Junior standing prior to summer term, must hold valid passport and be eligible for country-specific visa
Program Type: KSU-Sponsored Internship
Application Deadline: January 17, 2020
The Maori name for Auckland is 'Tamaki Makaurau' and for New Zealand is 'Aoetaroa.' Auckland is the largest city in New Zealand with a population of 1.495 million people. It is country's major economic center with a focus on Services and Commerce. In 2017, Auckland was ranked number 8 on CNN's list of the World's Most Livable Cities. Over 1/3 of New Zealand is made up of protected parkland and marine reserves.
Typical office hours in Auckland are 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM with a lunch break. Office attire can vary depending upon industry and sector.
Please note that while it will be the summer in the United States, it will be the winter in New Zealand (temperatures in the 40s and 50s Fahrenheit).
Students will enroll in a for-credit internship at Kent State University and must meet all of the KSU internship requirements. While participating in the GAV internship, students will intern full-time, Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM. Weekends are free, but you must be well-rested and prepared for work on Monday. Students will receive an on-site orientation, given by the local GAV team.
ACADEMIC CALENDAR/TENTATIVE ITINERARY
Mid-February students receive GAV pre-departure guide
April online GAV pre-departure orientation
May 27th Depart U.S.
May 29th Arrive in Country
May 29th – May 31st Orientation (orientation includes in-country presentation given by local GAV team, scavenger hunt, sightseeing, and a “get ready for work” day
June 1st Internship begins (Full-time, Monday through Friday)
July 24th Internship ends
July 25th Program ends (check out of accommodation and return to US)
- Minimum 3.0 GPA, Open to all majors
- Junior standing prior to summer term
- Holds a valid passport & eligible for specific visa (varies by location of internship)
- Meet with Theresa Wallace, email@example.com, (or Career Exploration and Development for non-business majors) before applying
- Additionally, students must have taken classes at Kent State University for at least one semester before applying, i.e. students must have a Kent State GPA.
- GAV application/interview
- Once accepted, pay non-refundable $1,000 deposit
GAV Program Fees includes the following:
- Shared accommodation for entire program
- Group airport transfers at beginning and end of program
- Limited transport credit (excluding Europe programs)
- Welcome dinner, breakfast on the first 4 morning of the program, catch up dinners during program, and farewell dinner
- Orientation activities with local staff
- Limited internet at accommodation
- 8-week internship placement
- 24/7 student support
COSTS & TUITION
- Students pay Kent State University tuition (Resident or Non-Resident) for internship credit hours. See www.kent.edu/tuition for more details
- GAV Program Fee: $5,195.00 USD (see above for what is included in this cost)
- Online Kent State University/OGE application fee: $60.00 USD
- Mandatory International Medical Insurance: Approximately $111.00 USD
- Estimated Airfare: $1500.00 USD
- Costs exclude most meals, personal living expenses, personal travel, passport/visa fees, etc.
GAV Non-Refundable $1,000 Deposit Deadline: February 1
GAV Program Fee Balance Deadline: March 15
KSU tuition due date follows the KSU Bursar Calendar; See: https://www.kent.edu/bursar/payment-due-dates
Medical Insurance Payment due before departure (specific deadline will be given to student once insurance is ordered)
FINANCIAL AID & SCHOLARSHIPS
Financial aid and scholarships are applicable toward this program!
View a complete listing of available scholarships.
Scholarships are available through the CoBA International Programs Office for Business students. See the following website: https://www.kent.edu/business/education-abroad-scholarships
LOCATION AND CDC INFORMATION
You can learn more about your destination, including travel advisories, through the US Department of State website:
Please visit the CDC travel page for information about any vaccinations you may need or health and safety tips for traveling to your destination:
If vaccinations or medicines are needed according to the CDC, you can make arrangements with the DeWeese Health Center or your medical provider as soon as possible for immunization appointments. Appointment openings are limited and they may have to order your vaccine, which takes time. Plan accordingly.
Theresa Wallace (Business majors)
Director of International Programs Office | College of Business Administration
firstname.lastname@example.org | 330-672-1292
Career Exploration and Development (non-Business majors)
Robin Pijor or Alyssa Hall
email@example.com | 330-672-2360
Office of Global Education
firstname.lastname@example.org | 330-672-7980