GAV SUMMER INTERNSHIP, AUSTRALIA
Program Term: Summer
Language Prerequisite: English (speaking and writing skills necessary for internships)
Primary Instruction Language: English
Eligibility: 3.0 GPA, Junior standing prior to summer term, must hold valid passport and be eligible for country-specific visa
Program Type: KSU-Sponsored Internship
Application Deadline: February 1, 2022
BEFORE PROCEEDING, PLEASE REVIEW THE CURRENT UNIVERSITY REQUIREMENTS FOR KSU SPONSORED EDUCATION ABROAD PROGRAMS HERE:
NOTE: Programs are subject to cancellation at any time. Please consult with your education abroad advisor prior to making any personal financial commitments to this program.
This program is currently offered in the following format(s): online or face-to-face, this scheme is subject to change. It is recommended to have an academic contingency plan in case of program cancellation.
Please consult the following resources for more information on COVID-19 and international travel:
Center for Disease Control: https://www.cdc.gov/
United States Department of State: travel.state.gov
Transportation Secretary Administration (TSA): https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus
Local Health Authority: https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert
Located in the state of New South Wales, Sydney is the main business hub for Australia. The city is clean and easy to navigate. Population is approximate 5 million with a total area of 7,685 square miles. Sydney is the 8th most powerful financial centers with Fortune 1000 companies, as well as regional/local companies. Students can be placed in an internship for nearly all fields of study. Typical office hours in Sydney are 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM with a lunch break. Office attire can vary depending upon industry and sector.
Please note that while it will be the summer in the United States, it will be the winter in Australia (temperatures in the 50s and 60s Fahrenheit).
Students will enroll in a for-credit internship at Kent State University and must meet all of the KSU internship requirements. While participating in the GAV internship, students will intern full-time, Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM. Weekends are free, but you must be well-rested and prepared for work on Monday. Students will receive an on-site orientation, given by the local GAV team.
ACADEMIC CALENDAR/TENTATIVE ITINERARY
Mid-February students receive GAV pre-departure guide
April online GAV pre-departure orientation
End of May Arrive in Country
End of May Orientation (orientation includes in-country presentation given by local GAV team, scavenger hunt, sightseeing, and a “get ready for work” day
June Internship begins (Full-time, Monday through Friday)
July Internship ends
July Program ends (check out of accommodation and return to US)
- Minimum 3.0 GPA, Open to all majors
- Junior standing prior to summer term
- Holds a valid passport & eligible for specific visa (varies by location of internship)
- Meet with Theresa Wallace, email@example.com, if you are a business major before applying
- Meet with Kristin Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org, if you are non-business major before applying
- Additionally, students must have taken classes at Kent State University for at least one semester before applying, i.e. students must have a Kent State GPA.
- GAV application/interview
- Once accepted, pay non-refundable $1,000 deposit
GAV Program Fees includes the following:
COSTS & TUITION
- Shared accommodation for entire program
- Group airport transfers at beginning and end of program
- Limited transport credit (excluding Europe programs)
- Welcome dinner, breakfast on the first 4 morning of the program, catch up dinners during program, and farewell dinner
- Orientation activities with local staff
- Limited internet at accommodation
- 8-week internship placement
- 24/7 student support
- Students pay Kent State University tuition (Resident or Non-Resident) for internship credit hours. See www.kent.edu/tuition for more details
- GAV Program Fee: $5,495.00 USD (see above for what is included in this cost)
- Online Kent State University/OGE application fee: $60.00 USD
- Mandatory International Medical Insurance: Approximately $111.00 USD
- Estimated Airfare: $1500.00 USD
- Costs exclude most meals, personal living expenses, personal travel, passport/visa fees, etc.
GAV Non-Refundable $1,000 Deposit Deadline: February 1
GAV Program Fee Balance Deadline: March 15
KSU tuition due date follows the KSU Bursar Calendar; See: https://www.kent.edu/bursar/payment-due-dates
Medical Insurance Payment due before departure (specific deadline will be given to student once insurance is ordered)
FINANCIAL AID & SCHOLARSHIPS
Financial aid and scholarships are applicable toward this program!
View a complete listing of available scholarships.
Scholarships are available through the CoBA International Programs Office for Business students. See the following website: https://www.kent.edu/business/education-abroad-scholarships
LOCATION AND CDC INFORMATION
You can learn more about your destination, including travel advisories, through the US Department of State website:
Please visit the CDC travel page for information about any vaccinations you may need or health and safety tips for traveling to your destination:
If vaccinations or medicines are needed according to the CDC, you can make arrangements with the DeWeese Health Center or your medical provider as soon as possible for immunization appointments. Appointment openings are limited and they may have to order your vaccine, which takes time. Plan accordingly.
Theresa Wallace (Business majors)
Director of International Programs Office | College of Business Administration
email@example.com | 330-672-1292
Career Exploration and Development (non-Business majors)
firstname.lastname@example.org | 330-672-2360
Office of Global Education
email@example.com | 330-672-7980