Kent State University
Programs > Brochure
University of Nicosia: Semester in Cyprus
Nicosia, Cyprus (Outgoing Program)
|Restrictions:||KSU applicants only|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|NOTE: The start and end dates ARE NOT the official dates set by the program. They are estimated dates based on the previous year. Do not use these dates when planning flights.|
** Refer to the brochure page below for official program dates.
Language Pre-requisite: None
Primary Instruction Language: English
Eligibility: 2.5 GPA
Program Type: Direct enroll
The Semester in Cyprus: University of Nicosia offers students the opportunity to earn academic credit while spending the semester on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus. Students are eligible to select 4-5 courses taught by Kent State's onsite partner institution, the University of Nicosia. You will take classes in Nicosia, the capital of Cyprus, during the week, and during the weekends you will join us for a series of exciting excursions to the most historically interesting and beautiful parts of Cyprus.
- Nicosia is the #1 small city in Europe for education and lifestyle (Financial Times, 2016)
- Cyprus is the 5th safest country in the world
- Sunniest country in Europe (330 days of sun/year)
- Easy access to the rest of Europe by air
- 12% of Europe's best beaches
- English widely spoken
- Cyprus combines European culture with a Southern California lifestyle
- CHECK OUT THE WEB BROCHURE: https://www.globalsemesters.com/2017-UniversityofNicosiaGS-eCatalog.pdf
- Spend a semester in beautiful Cyprus, a European country with a deep history, fascinating culture, and hospitable people
- OPTIONAL TRAVEL: "Mediterranean Tour" to Rome, Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Patmos*
- OPTIONAL TRAVEL: "Europe Tour" to Amsterdam, Paris, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Brussels, Salzburg, Strasbourg, Luxembourg, Dresden, Dachau, Bratislava*
- OPTIONAL TRAVEL: "Asia Tour" to Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong, New Delhi, Mumbai, Agra*
- Time to explore Cyprus and the region independently
- Earn 12-15 credits through fully-accredited coursework from over 400 course options
- Courses are taught in English
- Inclusive fees and great study program value
- 7-City Tour of Cyprus INCLUDED
*"Mediterranean Tour", "Europe Tour", "Asia Tour" not included in standard program fee; additional charge
The study abroad program will begin on Sept 22nd and end on December 21st.*
Days in Host Country:
- Days in Cyprus: 105
- Days of in-country travel: 5-7
The study abroad program will begin on January 19th and end on May 27th.*
Days in Host Country:
- Days in Cyprus: 126
- Day of in-country travel: 5-7
- Students choose 4 to 5 courses from the catalog of over 400 regularly scheduled Spring and Fall semester courses offered at the University of Nicosia.
- Final course schedules are posted shortly before each semester begins. You can get an idea of potential courses to be offered by looking at what is usually offered each term.
Expected coursework in the Spring
- Minimum of a 2.5 GPA or higher
- Must have completed 30 academic credits before the program
- Over 18 years old
- Exceptions may apply. Admission is not guaranteed
- Multiple apartment options
- Base fees are for double-occupancy living (e.g. two students per bedroom). Units might have 1, 2 or more bedrooms
- Guaranteed housing within apartment style accommodations
- Modern and furnished including kitchens, lounges and basic amenities (e.g. refrigerator, toaster, oven, etc).
- 5-15 minute walk to the University
Fall 2016 Fees:
$8,450 before 1/15 early deposit deadline*
$8,700 before 3/15 early deposit deadline*
$8,950 by 6/15 final payment deadline**
Fall 2016 Sample Budget
Spring 2017 Fees:
$8,450 before 8/15 early deposit deadline*
$8,700 before 9/15 early deposit deadline*
$8,950 by 11/15 final payment deadline**
Spring 2017 Sample Budget
* The deposit is $1000 towards the program fees (non-refundable). It is then deducted from the remainder of the program fees (all applicable discounts will appear on final invoice). There is an additional refundable damage deposit of $250, and a mandatory insurance of $200 that are not included in program fees.
** The program fee due date will be deferred for the amount of financial aid to be received. Any remaining balance not covered by aid is due by the deadline noted above.
CONFIRMATION DEPOSIT DEADLINE INFORMATION:
FALL Final Deadline for Confirmation Deposit: June 15
SPRING Final Deadline for Confirmation Deposit: October 30
APPLICATION DEADLINE INFORMATION:
FALL Final application deadline: June 1
SPRING Final application deadline: October 15
- Up to 15 credits of tuition at the University of Nicosia, transferable to Kent State University
- All program, lab, and field fees
- Full use of University of Nicosia labs and facilities
- Double occupancy housing (2 students/bedroom), typically in 2BR apartments in residential areas of Nicosia
- On-site orientation and emergency support from local staff
- 6-8 days of exciting day and overnight excursions in Cyprus and multiple cultural activities and experiences
- All ground transportation for host country excursions
- Double-occupancy accommodation in tourist-class hotels including breakfast during any overnight group travel.
- All admission fees to museums and cultural institutions visited with the group
- All guide fees for group trips and excursions
- Airport welcome and transfer from Larnaca airport to Nicosia.
- Insurance for overseas medical expenses, medical evacuation and repatriation
- Use of a GSM cell phone handset
- US-based support for credit transfer, medical evaluation and repatriation
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
- Airfare from the US to Cyprus
- Foreign Visas
- Student meals, except as noted above
- Personal expenses and travel
- Cost of cellphone calls
Financial Aid and scholarships are available to applicants.
- FALL SEMESTER EARLY DEPOSIT SCHOLARSHIP:
- ?Submit your deposit by January 15th and receive a $500 scholarship!
- Submit your deposit by March 15th and receive a $250 scholarship!
CONTACT FOR MORE INFORMATION
Education Abroad Advisor